The house is one of a terrace on the west side of a narrow garden off Knightsbridge. The terrace by W W Pocock dates from 1845 and is listed Grade II. This building was completely renovated and the lower, rear floors were united across a three storey atrium formed from a dank light well. The new work is clearly differentiated from its Early Victorian context as a wholly modern intervention. The device allows levels of natural light into otherwise dark areas of the building and the opportunity has been taken to integrate new high quality lighting, heating/cooling and a lift without erosion of the historic fabric.